Friday, April 17, 2009

NBA Playoffs, First Round Preview: Boston Celtics (2) vs. Chicago Bulls (7)

Point guard: Rajon Rondo vs. Derrick Rose
Two young, very exciting point guards are going at it. Rondo might be better defensively, Rose better offensively, but the one thing they have in common is blazing’ speed. This will be an interesting match-up, and especially great for Rose to experience the playoffs as a rookie against the reigning champions. But which team has the advantage at this position? Rondo has seen it all last year, but Rose is so damn talented. You tell me, because I’m going with: Advantage: none.

Shooting guard: Ray Allen vs. Ben Gordon
If we know one thing for sure it will be that we’ll have no short in 3-pointers made / attempted. Allen and Gordon aren’t the best defenders either, so expect big numbers from the both of them. But you can’t hate on me for picking the veteran. Allen is such a smart and experienced player, with Gordon on him as an undersized shooting guard, you see where I’m getting at: Advantage: Celtics.

Small forward: Paul Pierce vs. John Salmons
Throughout his career, I always kept my eye on John Salmons. A talented but to me, sometimes unhappy player (not uncommon in Sacramento these days). Now that he’s in the Windy City, we really see what he can do. Besides the obvious fact that this guy can shoot from every range, he’s also a capable defender. I must admit that Paul Pierce on the other hand has stepped up his defense since the arrival of Kevin Garnett last season, so I can’t wait to see them go at each other. And like I said with Ray Allen, experience weighs in on this too. I don’t think a confident player like Pierce will lose any sleep because of Salmons. Advantage: Celtics.

Power forward: Leon Powe vs. Tyrus Thomas
No KG. Sigh. As a fan of the game you hate to see injuries to any player, especially such a vital piece of the Celtics, an anchor on defense, a leader and a man who screams himself to victory. But I’m also a fan of Leon Powe, who is by no means comparable to Garnett, but sure knows how to put the ball in the basket. But if Tyrus Thomas keeps on playing without too many errors in this series, altering shots, rebounding and just catching Rose’s oops, then I can only say: Advantage: Bulls.

Center: Kendrick Perkins vs. Joakim Noah

It’s a crapshoot really. Both can be clumsy on offense, but at least they rebound and defend; just don’t expect too many buckets from either of them. Perk takes up so much space though, and without KG he really has to hold the fort down in paint. And since he’s built like a fort too, let’s just say: Advantage: Celtics.

Bench:

Kirk Hinrich, Tim Thomas, and a player who will see a lot of court action: Brad Miller. I like Eddie House, Mikki Moore, Starbury, Big Baby and Tony Allen (who isn’t 100% yet), and you could argue that the Celtics have more depth than the Bulls. However, Hinrich and Miller are starter material who could both have a great impact on this series. Luol Deng is out for the season, but still: Advantage: Bulls

Coaching: Doc Rivers vs. Vinny Del Negro

I’ve stated it often on this blog: I’m not a fan of Vinny Del Negro, but apparently he’s doing something right because the Bulls a back in the playoffs, Noah is more active than he ever was, and Tyrus Thomas finally matured this season into a full-time starting power forward. Doc Rivers was in the Finals last season, and came back to coach his team to 62 wins, 25 of them without Kevin Garnett. Advantage: Celtics.

What I’d Say:
Celtics in six. The Celtics still played great after Garnett was out, but I think they will really miss him against Chicago. I can’t imagine it being a sweep, five is possible, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the Bulls pull out a second win somehow along the way. But that’s about it; they won’t be last year’s Hawks pushing the Celtics to seven games.

5 comments:

John said...

As much as I would love to see an upset here but despite playing without KG, the Celtics have too much fire power to see off the Bulls.

But this Bulls team has plenty of potential and we can see a great future in this team.

Overall the 2009 season is expected to be the most exciting ever in recent years and I can't wait for it to began. For me personally as an Albiceleste supporter, things are not looking good but we'll just have to wait and see.

Oh yes! I've also published my own version (not really mine but a friend name Dave from the NBA Round Table) and would like you to give us your view as well .

Melvin said...

Well, I love the Bulls. I mean theyre the team I am currently using the in NBA 09 in PSP but the fact their team is depleted as well is the thing that made it hard for me to think of an upset. Chicago is a good scrappy team and could be a good playoff team in the future

-Gerard Himself- said...

John: thanks for the comment! I will check your blog later on today. You're right about this being one of the best seasons in years, really enjoyed it so far, and let's hope the playoffs don't disappoint.

Melvin: how are ya? The Bulls have such a bright future, I need sunglasses. Not that their team is that good, but Derrick Rose will always keep them competitive. And I can't say it enough: the trade for Salmons and Miller was such a great move by Paxson, gotta give him credit on that one.

Frizzle said...

WOW! Chicago wins the first game at Boston! Without KG, other players need to step up and with Ray Allen shooting 1-12 from the field isn't helping.

36 point and 11 assists for D.Rose as a rookie in his first playoff-game. A great future for the Chicago-franchise indeed.

Boston will win this series, though. Don't you worry!

-Gerard Himself- said...

and all of a sudden is 2-1. Chicago really has to go all out in Game 4, a must-win.