Saturday, April 26, 2008

No Breaks Allowed, Part One

Normally, I try to think of one topic, and write about that, but sometimes it’s nice to let it all out. So many things came to mind during this first week of playoff games, I need to talk about it. I can’t comprehend it into one fine post, no, so that why I called this Part One. Until June, there will be more blogs like this, because these are the most exciting times for a basketball fan. Unless you’re a Suns fan. Damn. Anyway, let’s get it on like Marvin:

-One week ago I think Lakers fans got to see they shouldn’t worry too much about Bynum coming back. Pau Gasol had one hell of a game. In fact, that whole Lakers team is playing so well together, sharing the ball so well it must make Tex Winter proud. I like how Bynum has improved this season, but it’s like what Kareem Abdul-Jabbar said in his blog: they should be cautious. I can imagine it’s frustrating to watch your own team play like that and not be part of the success they have been enjoying so far, but I hope Mountain Drew also understands he needs to think long-term. His career lying ahead of him is more important than the next couple of weeks. You don’t want to jeopardize a 15-year career for a couple of playoff games, do you? One final thing about the Lakers: when did Kobe decide that dressing like Craig Sager is cool?

-Talking about Sager, the guys at Inside the NBA are once again doing a marvellous job. It’s hilarious, but interesting at the same time. Kenny impersonating Kobe in a remake of Bryant’s commercial where he jumps “over” a car, was so funny. What Kenny didn’t know was that the Inside-crew didn’t want to let him jump over it, but the car ran over him. That why it was even more funny, because The Jet saw that for the first time while being on air. Barkley must be glad it finally wasn’t him being the bud of the joke. Great chemistry between those three is what makes this show work so well. The insightfulness but also not taking everything too seriously is what makes me watch it as much as possible (when it’s on NBA.com. Lately, not every new episode is online, very frustrating!). David Stern, if you’re reading this (insert laughter at Mr. G. Himself here): I really hope that TNT can get its hands on the NBA Finals someday.

-I’m glad I’m not Steve Kerr. That must really suck. Facing the Spurs they only have one guard on their roster who can actually defend a bit in Raja Bell, but the Spurs have two offensive juggernauts in Manu and Parker. Pick your poison. Yeah, that’s right, 0-3.

-There’s no doubt in my mind the Magic won’t win the series against the Raptors. I only saw the most part of Game 1, but the Raptors looked so lost they should be on ABC every week. Yes, I know the Raptors won Game 3, and played pretty good in Game 4 before losing it in the fourth quarter (the game just finished as I am posting this), but it’s not enough. The team is lacking an identity, and could use some toughness. The Magic however, for all the good players that they have on their roster, do have one problem: consistent play from the point guard position. Jameer Nelson has games where he looks like he could be a very good floor leader, most notably in Games 1 and 2, which were won by the Magic. Nelson played bad in Game 3, and the Magic lost. Of course that doesn’t all have to do with him, but he has to be another thread out there for Orlando. Nelson had a good fourth quarter in Game 4, and the Magic won again. I’m seeing a pattern here.

-Message to Caron Butler: stay healthy man. I don’t know if Gilbert Arenas can log anymore minutes, and although Butler isn’t 100% himself, the Wizards need him. And some sense too.

-Message to Rasheed Wallace: play better. Much better. In fact, the rest of his teammates should do a lot better too. To Flip Saunders: how is it possible your team is getting killed by the well-overpaid center Samuel Dalembert? He scored 22 points on the Pistons? What?

-Since we’re on the topic, besides the fact that the Pistons aren’t playing well, I am impressed by the Sixers, and who isn’t? I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Mo Cheeks deserves consideration for Coach of the Year. And although Iguodala isn’t playing well, the other Andre is proving to be the MVP of the Sixers, and outplaying Chauncey Billups at the moment. Hey, who knows, the Pistons might win the next 3. But if Philly wins this round, it will be an historic upset equivalent to last year with the Warriors over the Mavs. But I’m getting ahead of myself. It won’t happen that the Pistons will lose in an embarrassing fashion two years in a row, will it?

That’s about it for today. I’m back to watching some more games, and some more words on this blog might appear sooner than later. Your thoughts of the first week would surely be appreciated, so post ‘em in the comments section. If not, that’s fine too, but tune into the games, keep checking boxscores, highlights, whatever. Because before you know it’s summer, those long months after the Finals, and then what? Go outside? Getting a tan? Go to the beach? Nah. Until that time, it’s the NBA baby. No Breaks Allowed.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

As it turns out, I am actually David Stern.

But in all seriousness, I wish I could catch every TNT Inside the NBA too. Charles Barkley ftw!

At the end of the day, it looks like the higher seeds will all advance. I don't see Washington beating Cleveland, even with the Game 3 drubbing, especially without Gilbert. I think the Hornets will beat the Mavs, but not without it being an exciting series. Philly/Detroit, the most exciting series (even though only a couple of the games are televised, wtf!) could be a big upset, but I expect it to fizzle out, and the Pistons to win in 6 a la their series against Indiana in 2005. They need to get it in gear (heh) though.

Then we get to Suns/Spurs. Everyone is saying "omg sweep" but I would go so far as to say the series isn't completely over. I could see Phoenix winning Game 4, and possibly use that momentum to take Game 5, and then there is Game 6 in Phoenix. Its unlikely, but they could force a Game 7 and make it a series again.

I still disagree about TP and Manu killing the Suns. Obviously they, along with Duncan, have torched them, but Phoenix beat themselves. They never recovered from severely blowing it in Game 1. I still predict Spurs in 5 though.

-Gerard Himself- said...

Wow, quick response! How did you know I posted another blog? Cool man.

Anyway, I think you're right about the higher seeds going on to the next round, but I really wonder how the Pistons-Sixers series will turn out.

Although Dirk had a great game, and Terry played some good D on CP3, the Hornets had an off day, and they should forget about Game 3. Except for Pargo, who got 30.

If the Suns get swept (big IF), it will mark Shaq's seventh time in his career that he'll get swept. The Big Broom anyone? I think they'll get one.

Anonymous said...

Guess I just got on at the right time.

Pistons/Sixers and Mavs/Hornets are the only real series remaining. Cavs are about to go up 3-1 on Washington; and the rest of the series are either 3-0 or 3-1. Hawks/Celtics is 2-1, but do you really see the Hawks stealing even one more game?

Pistons/Sixers may be entertaining. If Philly takes Game 4, then it will be reminiscent of the Pistons/Magic series in 2003. I hope they can hold on to it and win the series (Magic in the conference finals!) but despite Detroit having a bad coach, and putting in no effort, I still see Detroit advancing.

Hornets will likely beat the Mavs in 5 or 6, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if they didn't. If they managed to contain CP3 to at least his averages (22 and 12), and Howard, Stack and Kidd step up, Dallas can win. Easier said than done though.

If the Suns get swept it will be Shaq's second straight first-round sweep.

Melvin said...

and the suns were defeated... so as the mavs.. ican picture how disappointed mark cuban and the whole dallas team is..

-Gerard Himself- said...

Avery Johnson was axed. D'Antoni next? Imagine being Steve Kerr. First season as a GM, a franchise that has to decide which direction it mist go, huge trade for Shaq, and still a first-round exit. Now what?

Anonymous said...

D'Antoni must go. It was his awful coaching that cost them Game 1 and 5; the crucial games of the series. Its not Shaq's fault.

Anonymous said...

Atlanta!!!!! Can they pull off the biggest upset in NBA history?

Even if they don't, it shows how overrated Boston is.

-Gerard Himself- said...

Never expected this. I saw Game 6, and what I saw was the Hawks. That's it. I saw the Hawks and no Celtics. Now I'm no Celtics hater, and I don't think they're overrated, but what I do know is that I saw a lot of pouting faces in green jerseys, fka the Boston Celtics.
I love KG, but he was a bit annoying last night, and Pierce his sixth foul was a bullshit call by the ref of course, but even without him, the Celtics played bad. The Hawks deserve a Game 7, and in that game? May the best team win.