Friday, April 18, 2008

First Round Preview

It’s Friday night. Some people go out with their friends. I’m a bit tired, so the only thing I’m going to do is think about the playoffs. Sure, I can act all Nellie and have a few drinks, wondering where the hell it all went wrong, but nope, I’m just sitting on my couch, knowing beforehand that my bed won’t see me all that much until mid-June. But before that, 14 teams will be on vacation, because one team in the East, and one in West will decide who will be the next NBA Champion. And to all of you fools who want to change the playoff-format: you can all suck my little Dutch windmill. It’s East vs West, it’s NBA history, do not challenge this, please. And yes, everybody writes previews, so why would I write ‘em? Because I don’t know what else I should do on a Friday night. My passion for the NBA is controlling my life, and that won’t change for the next two months.

EAST

Boston Celtics (1) vs Atlanta Hawks (8)

The Celtics against the Hawks? If somebody would’ve made that prediction one year ago, that person must have been a genius. Or just one lucky fellow. And when it comes to being lucky, I think Doc Rivers and Danny Ainge may consider themselves lucky for having the team that they have. I’m not disrespecting them, but the Celtics were awful for the last couple of years. And now? Now they are one of the few legitimate contenders of the East. And so they have to battle the Atlanta Hawks, who have made the playoffs for the first time this millennium. Sure, it’s good to be confident, you’re in the NBA, you should be confident. But I have to laugh when I read that Dominique Wilkins thinks there might be an upset. He’s the Human Highlight Film, but in this case, leave out the Human, Light and Film.

Detroit Pistons (2) vs Philadelphia 76’ers (7)

Mo Cheeks should be at least be second or third when it comes to getting votes for Coach of the Year. The organization hasn’t managed to add some quality players to the formidable backcourt, the tale of the two Andres. Is it a reach that I think Miller is the best point guard in the East right now? Yes, I am serious. And no, I’m not forgetting about Chauncey Billups, which will form an interesting match-up, other than that the Sixers are no match for the Pistons, who come into these series well-rested, and deeper than ever.

Orlando Magic (3) vs Toronto Raptors (6)

What a wonderful timing these Raptors have: they’re struggling! I hope Sam Mitchell can turn these guys around, because the Magic are not an easy opponent. Although they lack a quality point guard (and another big guy next to play next to Howard), Turk can do basically a little bit of everything on both ends of the floor, and you can always expect 20 points and a couple of 3’s by Rashard Lewis to compliment Dwight Howard, when he decides it’s Hammer Time. The Raptors have enough assets to make this a seven game series, but it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if it doesn’t last that long, and the Magic will go onto the next round.

Cleveland Cavaliers (4) vs Washington Wizards (5)

The most interesting series of the East. Third year in a row these two teams meet in the playoffs, with Cleveland winning the last two years. But something has changed. As a basketball fan, we must understand that the Cavs without LeBron wouldn’t win 25 games. The Wizards however, had to deal with injuries to their most important player(s) throughout the season. Arenas went down late November, only returning just in time to get some rhythm back, and one of the team bearers alongside Antawn Jamison, Caron Butler also missed some games. Arenas and Butler missed the first round last year and the Wizards got swept. Although Deshawn Stevenson is a moron for dissing LeBron, and the Wizards being a bit too excited to play the Cavs, I think they’ll edge them in seven. Yeah I said it. Sorry Bron.

WEST

Los Angeles Lakers (1) vs Denver Nuggets (8)

Kobe-AI, is this June 2001? Nope, first round baby, and I like this one. If Bynum would be healthy right now, the Lakers would be the frontrunners to win the Championship. But even without Mountain Drew, they are still going to beat the Nuggets. I must state that the Nuggets have been playing exceptionally well during the last couple of weeks, with even JR Smith making the right plays at the right moment. Okay, so Melo had a drink and got caught, shit happens. I’m not gonna focus on all that crap anymore, I’m just anxious to see him go up against Kool (Kobe) & The Gang.

New Orleans Hornets (2) vs Dallas Mavericks (7)

Wait, the Hornets are one of the best teams in the West? Damn right they are, with Chris Paul leading them. David West, Stojakovic, Chandler; is it enough to beat Dirk and co.? Kidd just got his 100th (!) triple-double, and seems to understand his role within the team a little bit better. Nowitzki’s leg might still be bothering him, but he still had some very good games since the injury. If the Mavs will beat the Hornets, besides Kidd and Dirk they need Jason Terry and Josh Howard to perform at a high level. The Hornets, inexperienced maybe, are capable of beating the Mavs, so it’s hard to predict this one. Every time when I think New Orleans has reached the top, they go even higher. Byron Scott elevates this team to a new level, but it would be too embarrassing for Dallas to lose again in the first round, so I think they will win in seven.

San Antonio Spurs (3) vs Phoenix Suns (6)

Is this really only the first round? Wow. And who doesn’t remember the famous Horry bump from last year? The Spurs seemed to play a bit sloppy the last few weeks, so they have to pick it up. Duncan has to either guard Shaq, or Amare Stoudemire. Oberto / Thomas will deal with the other. The other way around will also be interesting, because who can stop Parker and Ginobili? Raja Bell can only haunt one of these guys for 48 minutes, so pick your poison. With the Suns having two big men under the basket will give the Spurs some serious problems, but I think one thing will remain the same: the Spurs will beat them in seven.

Utah Jazz (4) vs Houston Rockets (5)

For me personally, the least interesting series in the West. I know the Rockets won 22 in a row, which is amazing. But for some reason I don’t believe in these guys. I have no doubt T-Mac will once again not advance to the second round. Although they have been playing very well without Yao Ming, I think the Jazz have more to win this round. The Rockets also miss Rafer Alston (hope he returns soon), and will find some difficulties in guarding Deron Williams who can score from every position, and of course Carlos Boozer. Who will they put on him? His old buddy Shane Battier? Luis Scola? I don’t this that’s enough, and I expect some huge games from Boozer.

To quote Lonnie Lynn jr.: “Now let’s start the show show”, because the search for finding forever starts Saturday night.

11 comments:

John said...

I've just post my version of the playoffs preview. Please check it out and let me have your comments....

http://mundoalbiceleste.blogspot.com/2008/04/2008-play-offs-real-deal-starts-now.html

Jason Boxer said...

Celtics over Hawks.
Pistons over Sixers.
Magic over Raptors.
Wizards over Cavs.
Lakers over Nuggets.
*i swear i can't pick in the Mavs-Hornets series. i hope this is entertaining as i'm expecting it to be.*
Spurs over Suns.
Jazz over Rockets.


"the Atlanta Hawks, who have made the playoffs for the first time this millennium"

so funny.

Anonymous said...

Just discovered this blog. Enjoyed the playoff preview.

I would agree with you for the most part. I have Celtics in 4, Pistons in 6, Cavs in 7, Magic in 5, Lakers in 5, Jazz in 4, Mavs in 7, and Spurs in 7.

I'll continue to follow this blog.

Jason Boxer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jason Boxer said...

if the Jazz and the Lakers win their series, and the Jazz upset the Lakers, they will be my new favorite team.

let me announce i am now cheering for the Jazz.

Melvin said...

I cant believe eddie johnson of hoopshype posted that hawks-celts series would go into 6! wtf!

Anonymous said...

Damn, Suns might be screwed, and my Mavs pick isn't looking good either. If worst comes to worst, I'll go with my #2 team, the Jazz.

-Gerard Himself- said...

Lamrock, I don't know what I clicked, by I accidentally deleted your first comment. My bad! Thanks for reading my blog dude! And yes, the Suns are screwed indeed. Barkley said that if they win the next two at home, all is open again. I highly doubt this. Because either Duncan, Manu or Parker is going to kill them. In game 1 it was Duncan, in game 2 it was Parker. The problem is of course that Nash isn't a good defender, so Raja Bell either has to pick Manu or Parker, leaving the other free to score when he wants to score. And the Jazz? Sure you can pick them, but I don't think they'll be able to beat the Lakers in the next round.

Jason: I thought the Hornets-Mavericks series would be 1-1 right now, didn't expect it to be 2-0. Chris Paul is the best point guard in the NBA. Can't be denied!

Melvin: Eddie Johnson is a tool. Have you read some of his Q&A's? He acts like a child sometimes. Sometimes I have the feeling that we, as bloggers and b-ball fans, look at it more obejectively than that moron.

Anonymous said...

No worries about the comment.

The Jazz will likely lose to the Lakers (who I also like) so I will bandwagon the winner of that series. Really, I wouldn't mind anyone but the Spurs.

Don't sell Utah short though, they are a great team (though they were shit last night) and are (in my humble opinion) the third best team in the West. (fourth in the league)

The Suns are pretty much done. Its a given that they will win tonight, but Game 4 is up in the air. It really isn't the Spurs who are killing them even. They are killing themselves. They had Game 1 in the bag, but they kept blowing it in the end with poor plays. Eventually, after losing their last of many opportunities (by not fouling before they could give it to the open 3pt), they had to face a second OT without Amare. They could have won Game 2 even, had it not been for that abysmal 3rd quarter. I like Chuck, but his predictions suck. (3rd straight year he matter-of-factly claims the Mavs will win)

The Suns have the capability to pull it off. If Raja continues to out-flop Manu, and they actually hold on to their leads, they can pull off the upset.

Anonymous said...

"Its a given that they will win tonight" -Me

My bad. Go Lakers/Jazz winner!

-Gerard Himself- said...

hahaha dude, that's funny.
How about them Sixers?!!!