Thursday, March 27, 2008

There Will Be Blood

Heading into April can only mean one thing: the end of the regular season is coming closer and closer. Sure, some people say it’s springtime, the sun will be shining and our lives will be filled with joy and beautiful girls in nice, short skirts and tanktops. I like women, I truly do, but in the month of April my mind is only thinking about one thing: the NBA playoffs.

And I’m not sure if I think this every year, but damn these last couple of weeks have been exciting, and the good thing is: it can only get better. In the east you are wondering who will get the final spots; the Nets and Hawks are battling to have fun against the Celtics in the first round, but they also have to deal with a pesky Pacers posse (got beat in New Jersey on Wednesday, may try again when the Nets visit on Friday) who still have dreams to make it. In the West you can’t even predict who will end up first to eighth place. Imagine being the Denver Nuggets, smelling blood especially now that Dirk Nowitzki is out for at least a couple of weeks for Dallas (they just beat the Mavs a couple of minutes ago, as I'm writing this). And will Golden State grab this opportunity to move up in the standings?

The 76’ers have been on a tear lately, climbing up in the standings, so even in the East it’s tough to predict what will happen. In the West the Hornets are playing so well, that if they do end up in first place, I’m pretty damn sure that every so-called analyst didn’t have that back in his prediction last fall. This team deserves a lot of credit, and while a lot of people are talking about Chris Paul as MVP, coach Byron Scott is a frontrunner for Coach of the Year. If the Hornets don’t take that first spot, the Lakers might, unless Kobe gets more T’s and start to miss games because of that. They don’t have Gasol (might return next week), they don’t have Bynum (who might return….?), so no Kobe at this time in the season would be disastrous. I can’t predict what will happen, except that I will check the standings daily, watching who will move up, or who will turn up on “Inside the NBA”, in the “Gone Fishin’” segment.

It’s changing on a daily basis, different teams finding themselves in different places, players with sweat on their faces, asking themselves: who is the greatest?

(forgive the lameness-factor of those last lines, but my guess is that if Kanye West would put that down as his lyrics, he would get away with it. Me? Not so much)

10 comments:

Melvin said...

LOL, I really love summer (girls) and eveything.. With the playoffs I have been praying and attending religious activities recently just to increase chances of Mavericks not entering playoffs... hehe...

-Gerard Himself- said...

hahahaha as of today the Nuggets are in 8th place, the Warriors in 9th, and the Mavericks in 7th. The Mavericks have to play the Warriors tonight (Warriors play at home), and the Warriors will play them in Dallas on Wednesday. Another exciting week coming up! (I'm not getting much sleep nowadays with all these games that arew really important. So much for discipline!)

Melvin said...

hey they lost(dallas)... I can't wipe the smile off to my face...=)

Jason Boxer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jason Boxer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jason Boxer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jason Boxer said...

Renton (i'm just gonna call you by your sn i think), you are the king of all NBA fans. Not only do you have a favorite team in the Nets that I'm pretty sure you know everything about, but you've also managed to follow and be well-informed about the entire rest of the league. I am in awe of you.

and go Clippers.

-Gerard Himself- said...

Wow thanks Jason! I try to my best man, thanks a lot!

And.... go Clippers? Really? April Fools? :D

Jason Boxer said...

haha. that was me who deleted all the comments, i accidentally quadrupled it. and yes, I'm a Clippers man. Nets are my 2nd favorite.

-Gerard Himself- said...

I always liked Elton Brand. Should be an all-star every year (when healthy), and I like Cuttino Mobley. I think Mobley is better suited in a sixth man role though. It's been what, a year now since Shaun Livingston had that horrifying injury? I only saw it once, and that was the most nastiest b-ball injury I have ever seen, damn. Even when he's healthy, I had some doubts about his ability to be a true floor leader, but when he's back, who knows what he can or can't do for the Clippers. As a fan of the game, you never want to see injuries like that!
Kaman? Good. Thornton? Good but not there yet. Maggette? I think he'll finally be gone after the summer. There are some rumors that teams want to trade for Brand. If that will happen,Here's hoping for better days in Clipperland, they were so promising not too long ago.