Friday, March 14, 2008

Shaq to the Future

“Password”
“Don’t fake the funk on a nasty dunk.”
If someone doesn’t recognize these lines I can understand that. You either forgot about it, or might not be following the NBA since the early nineties. No problem, but go to Youtube, and check the Shaquille O’Neal Reebok commercial which always will be one of my favorites. Now that’s what I call an introduction for a new player, having your own sneaker commercial where Bill Walton, Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar show up. Yeah, I remember that Larry Johnson one with Larry Bird and Magic Johnson, but let’s be honest here: that was a bit corny, and LJ, with his crappy back, wasn’t exactly what you would call one of the most dominating players of our time. But Shaq? Now he’s a guy who made you believe the hype, not Public Enemy.

I feel connected with Shaquille O’Neal. Now how can a 5-foot-11 inch fellow with arms white and thin like spaghetti, feel connected with someone who calls himself the Diesel? I know, it’s weird, but I do. It’s because we “started” at the same time. I saw my first NBA minutes on television during a Bulls-Blazers Finals game back in ’92. During that summer, I watched some of the Dream Team which immediately learned me about the greats of the game, and in that same summer the Orlando Magic drafted the next great when they got O’Neal out of LSU. So basically, when started his career I started to follow the League. And so the story continues.
In 1999 I finally had access to watch live NBA games on television, which meant I saw my first Finals games (well, first live Finals games) in June 2000. And that meant I saw Shaq win his first title, absolutely dominating throughout the whole season. He had his best statistical season and with all the talk going on since 1998 who was going to be “the next Jordan?”, the question should’ve been: “who’s the next most dominating player?”, because the answer was simple. The man was unstoppable, so it hurts me to see what’s been happening in recent years.

Look, Shaq is in his sixteenth season. He has won four titles, seen it all, dealt with everything that has been happening while being hacked by lesser opponents, acknowledging that the only way to stop him was to foul him. Hard. As a team it was important to have a couple of stiffs on the bench who could go in and make 6 fouls on him and get back to the bench for the rest of the night. But the last couple of seasons Shaq is always hampered by foul trouble. You can’t tell me that a player of his calibre, with his experience, doesn’t know how to stay in the game. It’s a game of guards and small forwards; the rules have changed, and therefore the League is screwing every big man who actually can call himself a center (not those Al Harrington types who are forced to play center). Defense isn’t a priority anymore in the NBA, and the centers who try to alter some guards shot, easily gets a foul called against him. I don’t think Pat Riley used him well either, putting him often in the wrong position on defense, asking him to step in every time when someone attacks the basket, which nowadays is almost immediately a foul for the defensive player.

Now that he’s playing for the Suns, I was hoping times would get better for Shaq. And after seeing him playing against the Spurs last Sunday, I believe he’s feeling better. Active on both ends of the floor, still being able to run, and of course one of the highlights of the season: the dive. But the Suns aren’t winning enough (however, they did win three in a row as of this writing), so the media once again is scrutinizing O’Neal, saying it’s his fault while it’s easy to understand that it probably will take ‘til the end of the regular season for everyone to adjust. Give him time to let him show you some of his old self, because all he wants to is getting another ring in the very near future. That would make it his fifth, a handful. Which makes sense in a way, because he is still a handful too.

6 comments:

Melvin said...

Ok Gerard.. I am not a patient guy. and not really patient! Shaq has gone truly old, he has aged, he has slowed down, and has declined as a whole. But do not get me wrong, I still like Shaq a lot. I mean Shaq is in my textbook as the most dominant player of all time and it will not change... I can Guarantee!

Jason Boxer said...

If Shaq wants success again, he's gonna have to start working a lot harder. I was watching a Suns game recently and i payed close attention to Shaq down low. It was something like 5 or 6 plays in a row that he didn't box out his man. He isn't as strong or dominant to just rely on his power and height anymore. I think he needs to step up his work ethic.

But maybe I don't like him just because he beat my Nets every damn time.

Anonymous said...

KAZAAM!

Anonymous said...

HEY GERARD HIMSELF!
Dacre here. (from the slamonline.com forums?!)
Just taking in your thoughts on Shaquille O'neals activity over in Arizona and it really looks like a re-emergence of sorts (Up to 7 wins in a row) as the team comes together down the stretch. I also started following the NBA around Shaqs (and therefore Alonzo Mournings) rookie year and it was a glorious time to become a fan. Now the Suns team have amassed a 'dreamteam' of sorts...the kind of team I would put together on the latest version of NBALive's videogames and here's to the Suns making it all the way in 08.

-Gerard Himself- said...

thanks people!

Mel-man: about 'dominance': when Jordan left in '98, people were looking for the next Jordan, which is bullshit of course, they should've been talking about 'the next dominant player', because Jordan was dominant, as was Shaq. He's old, but proves in Phoenix he's got basketball left.

Jason: I think Shaq has listened to you. He's working a bit harder, rebounding a bit more, playing 30mpg for the Suns, I think that's as much out of him as you can expect at this time of his career. (and you're a Nets fan too? Dope!)

Henny: Kazaam! Glad I'm not a movie critic. Hoe gaat het met je Nederlands?

Dacre: thank you for checking the blog. Yup, 7 in a row, but as I'm writing this, they're losing to Detroit. I'm not sure if the Suns will make the Finals, though. It would be epic to see them battling the Spurs in the Western Conference Finals though. Hopefully Horry doesn't 'bump' anybosdy this time though!

Again, thanks all for commenting, and there will be a new blog soon (I need to write more, got so many topics in my head)

Anonymous said...

goed, hoewel, ik vind nog de taal moeilijk te begrijpen wanneer het is gesproken...ik hoop ik dat juist zei...en dat