Thursday, June 19, 2008

108 Games


Let’s start off with some Guru, Jazzmatazz vol. 3, Streetsoul, track 5: “Certified”.

This right here has been certified for years
He’s got soul up in his blueprint and he’s ready to vocalize….


And he did. Watching Kevin Garnett crying and howling in that post-game interview with Michelle Tafoya was a thing of beauty and to me represents everything that is good about the NBA. It was 6 in the morning when the game ended over here, and watching him yelling ‘Anything is possible!’ claiming he was now certified, hugging Bill Russell, man, I had tears in my eyes. I’m 28 and I might be soft, but that was amazing and heartfelt to see. I needed to get some extra hours of sleep after the game, but I just couldn’t go to bed. Like KG, I was too hyped. It took me almost two hours before I could finally get some shuteye.

Understand what I’m trying to say here. I’m a Nets fan, but even more so I’m a fan of the NBA. Watching every team, enjoying good basketball when I see it. That’s why I enjoyed Game 6 so much, especially the final moments of it. And anyone who didn’t like it must walk that yellow brick road and search for a heart. Doc Rivers probably still smells like Gatorade, and Paul Pierce might still wear his jersey. Life is good in Boston, where after 22 years they’ve finally won it again. It took them 108 games to do it, but every single game the purpose was the same as the last one: they had to win it all. Call it destiny, call it whatever you want, but it had to happen.

In L.A. they hoped to have their first championship since ’02, but watching the Lakers play on their home floor, it looked like both the players and the fans weren’t that desperate for it. Although the Celtics played great defense, the Lakers were really disappointing. Kobe had a lot of trouble in getting to the basket, so he definitely needed someone to step up, whether it was Odom, Gasol, whoever. Yet nobody embraced that role, but again: that wasn’t the biggest problem. They just didn’t want it badly enough and that’s what it’s all about. It’s weird; the Lakers played great throughout the playoffs, but had a lot of problems during the Finals. The Celtics however, struggled in the first two rounds, found some rhythm against the Pistons, and really played well against the Lakers. More importantly, Ray Allen overcame his shooting woes from previous rounds to show that he still is one of the finest shooters in the League. He emphasized that in Game 6 by hitting seven three-pointers out of only nine attempts.

So that was the 2007-2008 NBA season, the team won that had to win, KG delivered to world some footage that the NBA can use in every promo for the next ten years (or longer), and Paul Pierce became the Finals MVP, which should secure his legacy after his career is over. And Doc Rivers? I think he’s done with Gatorade for a while, and hopefully traded it for some champagne. The Celtics won, and rightfully so.

16 comments:

robbz18 said...

Gerard, Lol. I really thought that was his true statement. I also have the new Weezer but have yet to listen to it besides "Pork & Beans".

Great post, man. I know I rooted for the Lakers, but I'm happy for Boston. Although Im not jumping on the bandwagon! It's gotta be Cleveland next year.

A post months ago could only mean one thing: it's time to update! Haha.

New post on my site! Peace!

Anonymous said...

Celtics back-to-back next season! Better believe that ish!

Anonymous said...

after 22 years... a very long and storied one for the boston celtics... i hope they won't become the miami heat..

robbz18 said...

LOL, Melvin. That thought crossed my mind, too. Although the Big 3 doesnt really scream "overweight in 2 years!" like Shaq. I think they'll be fine, but they have to start planning soon.

Too many injury risks. Mind if I jack your thought and write about it sometime?

Jason Boxer said...

I was cheering for the Lakers too, but I too am happy for the Celtics.

I wasn't expecting this at the beginning of the season. It's been tried so many times; picking up a bunch of super stars and trying to get them to mesh and win a title. The Lakers couldn't do it w/ Kobe, Shaq, Karl Malone, and Gary Payton, but the Celtics managed this year. Good for them.

Next year's wish list:

Jason Kidd leads the Mavs to some type of success.

The Clippers stop eating their own shit.

I was never a Jazz fan before, but this year's playoffs inspired me. I hope they can keep improving.

Greg Oden will be interesting. The Blazers have a bunch of young, raw talent and if him and the rest of the team can pull it together, that'd be fun to watch.

Jason Boxer said...

and Robbz: can you post a link to your blog? the link to your profile on your comments isn't working anymore, and i cannot make my way to your blog.

-Gerard Himself- said...

Jsy: Robbi's blog is in my 'link' list, and is called X Marks the Sport.

-Gerard Himself- said...

*spot

I knew that, to justify it: the r is next to the t on the keyboard.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't it 108 games, not 128? 82 season, 26 playoff?

Disappointed that the Lakers didn't put up a better fight, but I'm happy for KG and the Celtics. I bet LA wins next year with Bynum anyway.

robbz18 said...

Jason: Yup, that's the correct link in Gerard's blog. But still, here's the URL...

www.robbz18.blogspot.com

Cavs-Hornets NBA Finals 2009!

-Gerard Himself- said...

Damn... why the hell did I write 128 games.... TWICE????? Brainfart. Thanks Lam, again, I really don't know why that happened....

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear what the only Nets fan in the world thinks of the RJ/Yi trade and Brook Lopez, as well as all the other fun moves we've seen this past week.

-Gerard Himself- said...

There will be a new blog on either Sunday or Monday (expect the latter). I'm thinking about writing two: one about the Nets and RJ, the other one about the draft and everything that has happened so far. The RJ one will be posted first.

Only Nets fan in the world.... it seems that way, you might be right. Now if only Rod Thorn would fly me in for a game next year, he, Kiki and myself have plenty to talk about.

Jason Boxer said...

i'm a Net's fan!

but this trade makes me want to abandon ship.

-Gerard Himself- said...

a real fan never does!

robbz18 said...

@ Jason: you didnt like the Nets' moves?? Those were GREAT moves! I cant stress enough how good a move that is. Plus, your draft was excellent.

Sure, the Nets are gonna be sucky this year, but you got a great group of young guys and your one bad contract left is VC.

There are teams in worse shape than your Nets are in, man! =)