Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Another31Days – December, Eastern Conference

Okay okay, I’ll admit it. I’m slacking a little bit. Hardly wrote anything in December. Why? Not sure. Busy at work. Or it could just be because I’m lazy. I’ve got tons of stuff I can write about here, but I just need to get started. Once I do get started, everything will work out. Yes sir, I’m an überslacker, and if that wasn’t a word it is now. A new month, a new year, and a lot of basketball left to be played, so let’s take a final look at December, who’s on the rise, who’s fallin’ like Alicia, and who found the Keys to success?

Records and standings are through January 1

1. Boston Celtics (26-3): Pierce is dominating on the offense, KG is concentrating on defense and everything else, and the always classy Ray Allen was knocked down by Lamar Odom in a desperate attempt to stop these dominating Celtics. Needless to say: the Lakers lost.

2. Detroit Pistons (24-7): The defense, the winning streak, the swagger, the inside jokes; the music is back in Motown. They won nine in a row, their bench full of youngsters ready to jump in when Flip Saunders gives his starters a break, this team is deep. Breaking news: Chauncey Billups dunked in the win against the Bucks!

3. Orlando Magic (22-11): They cooled off a bit in December, and missing Rashard Lewis wasn’t helping. Also the mediocre play from Jameer Nelson hurt the team. Injuries? Could be, but now he’s been coming off the bench playing behind Carlos Arroyo, and that seems to be working well. And Dwight Howard? I said last month that he’s the best big man in the NBA, although he might not be offensively that gifted, I don’t care. He works with what he has, and there’s always room left for improvement. But most of all: he’s dominating.

4. Atlanta Hawks (15-13): Fourth? Are you kidding me? Last month I had doubts if they could be better, and they were in eleventh place. Guess I was wrong, or is it because the rest of the East is disappointing? Why can’t the Hawks convince me that they are a good team? Why am I hating? If they’ll reach the playoffs, I’m convinced.

5. Toronto Raptors (17-15): T.J. Ford is still out, and pondering whether or not if it’s a healthy (mentally and physically) decision to come back at all. Bosh is getting back at all-star level, but no Jorge, T.J. is something that they will miss this season. Andrea: step up!

6. Washington Wizards (15-14): Caron Butler is one of my favorite players in the League. He and Antawn Jamison (hopefully both All-Stars in February) are not letting this team slip to the bottom of the Southeast Division without Gilbert Arenas. Antonio Daniels missed a couple of weeks, so the team was left without a point guard. Insert Roger Mason, another problem solved. Eddie Jordan is a smart, smart man.

7. Indiana Pacers (15-17): Should he stay or should he go now? Jermaine is still there, and I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or not. I like Granger, Dunleavy, and Tinsley must prove he can play the rest of the season without off-court trouble. If he can keep playing like we’ve seen earlier, the Pacers could be in the playoffs at the end of the season. Something I certainly didn’t expect.

8. New Jersey Nets (14-16): Ladies and gentlemen, your rollercoaster Nets! My favorite team is utterly disappointing one week, and then the next week they are actually playing like they have something to prove. Josh Boone and Sean Williams are finally starters, and it has paid off. More rebounds per game, some scoring from the inside and a renewed energy was found in Kidd, Carter and Jefferson, who still is scoring like a mad man. Won four of five to end 2007. Keep it up in ’08.

9. Philadelphia 76’ers (14-17): Newly hired Ed Stefanski already did one smart thing, and that’s something he didn’t do. He kept Andre Miller, and that makes a lot of sense. Everybody talks about Miller being traded to whoever needs him the most, but Stefanski said that Miller is a good point guard, a glue guy, and one of the reasons the Sixers actually win a game here and there. He and Iggy should be in Philly for the rest of the season.

10. Cleveland Cavaliers (14-17): If MVP trophies would be handed out to players with the best stats, LeBron would win it right now. But the team just isn’t good enough, and anyone who thought they were because they made the Finals, is wrong. Andy is back? So what? Hughes in unhappy, Damon Jones is bitching like he actually makes a difference on a team (and he doesn’t), and they keep on losing. I hope they don’t fire Mike Brown, because it’s not he who started this, its management failing to do anything noteworthy during the off-season. And since Andre Miller is staying put and the Cavs don’t have much to offer trade-wise anyway, this season is doomed.

11. Chicago Bulls (11-18): Pax axed Skiles. Ben Gordon is coming off the bench and scoring 30 a game? So now he’s able to hit shots? I’m confused, although that has been the case all season when I’m watching this team. A couple of wins don’t convince me that they’re back on track.

12. Charlotte Bobcats (11-18): Gerald Wallace had a monstrous game against Indiana, willing his team to win, scoring 36 points, along with 8 boards 4 assists and 4 steals. What a way to end the year; hope the Bobcats can carry this over to 2008.

13. Milwaukee Bucks (11-19): I would like to thank Charlie Bell who makes me look like an ass. I wrote a blog about him some time ago and really thought this guy deserved to play. In Milwaukee, or wherever. Bell wanted to go to Miami, but that didn’t happen. Now I don’t know if he’s unhappy, or if there is something else that is wrong, but he’s not producing. I thought more of the Bucks this season. Apparently I was wrong.

14. New York (8-21): I copy pasted one word from last month’s take on this team: embarrassing.

15. Miami Heat (8-23): It’s not Shaq’s fault. It annoys the hell out of me that everybody is hating on O’Neal. Is there a solution to all the problems the Heat have? Well, besides the obvious (adding a decent point guard), Pat Riley should leave ASAP. Let a younger guy (not named Skiles) try to get this team some wins.

3 comments:

Melvin said...

Man I thought you're still celebrating holidays!!! Anyway nice to have you back (and your very long posts). I will read them when I have free time... btw thanks for visitng my site

-Gerard Himself- said...

Well, yeah, the monthly recaps are the VERY long ones, but I'm thinking about some new posts too, check back every now and then and I hope to have something ready.
Last couple of weeks just have been chaotic, I'm all back now!

Anonymous said...

whew!!! chaotic huh!!!