Saturday, November 17, 2007

Can I Keep My Jersey?

I’m worried. Already. Yes, I know it’s early, but I’ve got every right to be worried about my favourite team; the New Jersey Nets. When I started to write this blog, I decided that I didn’t wanted to be just some fan who only blogs about his own team. That wouldn’t seem interesting to me, it wouldn’t be interesting to you (who?) and I’ve got plenty of basketball love to spread around. There are 29 other teams in the NBA who I’m keeping an eye on, I watch more than only Nets games, plenty more. I read everything, about every team, every player, every game recap. But my love for the Nets is like Shakira. There are plenty of women in this world who got curves, but there’s only one where the hips don’t lie. In retrospect: yes, I do realize that lines like that will never, ever make me a successful writer. There goes my hope in being the next Paul Shirley.
The state of the Nets is a reason for concern, because after nine games, they are 4-5. Their first game of the season was a win against the Chicago Bulls, who went from contenders to pretenders in a matter of weeks. But since then, four of five losses were by 20 points or more, the worst one against division rival Toronto. Boston already beat them twice, and Orlando smacked them like Shakira’s booty, winning by 25 points. And of course the heartbreaker against the Hornets, a team that makes me glad that they are in the Western Conference. Chris Paul and the gang are downright scary.

It’s frustrating, I’ll tell you that. I’ve been following the Nets since ’97 (reading assignment: first ever blog, summer ‘07), and with this team it’s always a rollercoaster ride. If there is any team that is more inconsistent than the Nets in recent, let me know about it, because I can’t think of one right now. Watching the game against the Hornets, getting behind, battling back, getting a nice lead, losing it again, and get beat by Chris Paul in the end certainly leaves me with mixed emotions. And even though it’s that early in the season, it’s easy to see that it is now more than ever time to shake things up a little bit. And I don’t mean trading one of their stars. Who would you trade? You don’t trade Kidd, Carter can’t be traded because of his contract, and the one that is always talked about on being traded, RJ, well, that’s insane. The guy started the season by absolutely playing the best ball of his career so far (if you forget about the last two games, it’s hard, but just try), and he’s the one who has to carry the Nets offensively. So far, even a healthy Vince Carter isn’t producing right now, and who knows how long it will take until he finds his rhythm after he comes back from his ankle injury. So barring trades, start the rookie, Start Sean Williams. Of course he won’t win games for the team, but at least he gives them fresh legs, inside presence, athleticism, and another option for Jason Kidd to throw lobs to. And yes, he was a non-factor too against the Magic last night, but I’d give it a try if I was Lawrence Frank.

So Carter is injured, Nenad Krstic is back but not really back. It will take a while before he will give you 15-20 points every night, maybe even a couple of months. In a couple of hours the Nets once again play at home, and the Miami Heat (with Dwyane Wade playing) will pay them a visit. Reasons to be optimistic? Yes, because the Heat really have problems. They are 1-8, everybody is criticizing Shaq, and the rest of the team is awful. Then again, Wade is back, and Carter won’t be playing tonight. I hope I’m able to watch this one tonight. Why I’m using the word “able”? Because I have to rely on p2p sites to see it, and that doesn’t always work, and also because sometimes I have to close my eyes when the Nets lose another 10-point lead with just a few minutes to go and then lose the game. Can I get my Nets back? The team that gave me two Finals appearances, the team which once again gave me hope that this could actually be the season where they will crawl back into the select group of teams in the NBA that we call “elite”. The Nets don’t belong in the lower half of the NBA. The only good lower half in the world is the lower half of the aforementioned lady. Kidd and the gang lost four games in a row now, but tonight is a new night, a new opportunity to regain respect, only to be accomplished with a win.

7 comments:

Melvin said...

Hahaha. I've laughed hysterically about your post about New Jersey. Man, Jersey is a resilient team and I think they can make a comeback even without Carter... The other "New" team fans has really be something to worry about...

Starting Sean Williams?? uhmmmm.... I don't react to that since I'm not familiar with him. Nenad's recovery will be a long one and I think he will be a liability defensively...

Melvin said...

And dude, can you write a post for me???? in my blogsite???? =) I'm just a student and I can only manage to write once a week so if you can write once every month then it'll be good.... By the way I have a new poll, please visit my site...

-Gerard Himself- said...

Sean Williams started the game against the Heat, and is one of the few things to be excited about, as a Nets fan. The young fella got 22 points, 8 boards and 2 blocks. Not bad for a rookie, a "prospect".
I'll visit your site (I often do), but won't write for it if you don't mind. Even if you only write somthing once a month, I'll check it out. Another option is to write just some short blogs. Takes less times, but keeps it interesting. Once again, thanks for reading mine. It's cool that some people read what some dutch guy thinks about the NBA. Now I'm gonna check out your poll....

Melvin said...

Hahaha, Man, I think dutch are cool. I think when anyone writes a blog about something that I know(and thats basketball), I really make some effort to read it (and criticize it).

About your Nets??? I don't know... Orlando, Toronto and some might surprise the other. The good thing is Chicago, Washington is struggling, Well, too early to speak....

Anonymous said...

I always cheer for the Nets. I think this is pretty the same as last season wherein they struglled with consistency. They have to be careful this time because there are many teams that improved and this just might be the time that they will be out for the postseason

-Gerard Himself- said...

Rek, thanks for responding. Yes, they have to be careful. Last year you might lose some games, you might win some games, but with an awful Atlantic Division, and a mediocre Eastern Conference, you would still make the playoffs. This season it's different. People say that when they're healthy, it will all work out. I'm not too sure of that (in fact, even Kidd isn't sure of that, so he said today). Only when Krstic is 100%, they might be able to turn it around.

Anonymous said...

Yes, but Boston, Orlando and Toronto improved a lot... Still MIami, Washington and even Detroit struggle. Overall it is still a weak conference... Put New Orleans there and its guaranteed that they'll make the playoffs