Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Pacific Division Preview

1. Phoenix Suns: Shawn Marion won’t be a problem in Phoenix. It’s a veteran team, so they will deal with this within the team. If he’s traded, GM Steve Kerr will make a good trade for him. I liked the signing of Grant Hill. Not only because I hope he can finish his career on a high note, but also because I think he can get the Suns over the hump. And then Amare Stoudemire had knee surgery. Surprisingly enough STAT claims he feels really well, and we will see him return to action soon. But I have to seem him in the regular season dunking on domes to really convince me he’s healthy. If he is, the sun will be shining bright this season (lame comment, I know), with Steve Nash once again running the show.

2. Golden State Warriors: Who knew? And with that question I mean: who knew they would rise from underdog of the NBA to second place in this ranking, and probably the most fun team to watch? It’s still a damn shame they traded away Jason Richardson, but making Stephen “Whoo!” Jackson the team captain, get ready for some real leadership. I’m sorry, I couldn’t stop smiling writing that. As long Baron Davis is healthy, the Warriors will go. Need I say more? No. You shouldn’t talk about the Warriors. We all talked and talked after they defeated Dallas in last season’s playoffs. But talking about them ain’t worth a dime. You should just watch them doing their thing, and if you don’t like that, you don’t like NBA Basketball (the Pacific Division Preview has already won the award for most cheesiest phrases).

3. Los Angeles Clippers: Third, fourth and fifth place could be anyone’s guess. I’ll say Clippers for now. If only if it was because they drafted Al Thornton, who had an excellent preseason. Since Elton Brand sadly enough is injured and will be out for a (long) while, Thornton will get plenty of minutes. Maggette will be the go-to guy for now, because he is one of the few scorers on a team which won’t do anything much this season. Cassell is getting older, and it’s a good thing they signed Brevin Knight to help out at the point guard spot (still baffles me that the Cavs didn’t get him). Can’t imagine them making the playoffs will all those other strong teams in the West.

4. Los Angeles Lakers: The brain says “Kings”, the heart says Lakers. Not that I’m a Lakers fan, but I always keep my eye on Kobe. I’m not gonna ramble on what he should and shouldn’t do, or why he should keep his mouth shut sometimes, I just hope that he will play yet again at an elite level, and how corny it may sounds: let his play do the talking. He is simply the best player in the NBA, no doubt about it. He is cold as ice, but lately his emotions get the better of him. His team won’t win anything this year, and the only help he has is Lamar Odom. Coach Jackson criticized Kobe this week, so maybe he will end up somewhere else sooner than later. Well, at least they have Mr. 0.4 back. Go Fish.

5. Sacramento Kings: Bibby is injured. Might be traded this season. Artest is suspended. Might be traded this season. But the one guy who will win basketball games for the Kings is of course Kevin Martin. The Maloof brothers should be really happy that Martin stays. But the Kings have to start over and build a team around him. I miss the Webber-led-winning teams. The fans probably too. Wait, isn’t Webber looking for a job? Regardless, the exciting plays of the old Kings are long gone, so I’m wondering what will happen next in Sacramento.

No comments: